Site logo
  • Wedding Live Band Malaysia
  • Best wedding photographer Malaysia

How to Get Letter of No Marriage Record / Single Status in the USA

You can get the Letter of No Record / Single Status from the County/ City Clerk or through the contracted vendor VitalChek. It is the documentation establishing No Record of Marriage on file within the County where the letter is issued. This letter may be required in some foreign countries to establish that an applicant is free to marry. You should contact the country where you will get married to find out if they require confirmation of single status.

Who qualifies?

Anyone who resided in state/ county for a period of time can order a single status letter. 18 years or older.

What does the single status letter contain?

The single status letter will say the county does not have any record that you are currently married. They can only provide the confirmation from the time you are 18 or from the time of a previous divorce.

Made Valid outside the US

For the certificate to be valid outside the United States, the Certificate of Single Status needs to go through  Attestation/ Authentication/ Apostille. Refer to your County/ State on how this can be done.

County of Santa Clara, California



  1. Complete the appropriate sections of the request form
  2. There is a $17.00 fee per Letter of No Record / Single Search.
  3. Mail or bring completed request to:  

Santa Clara County Clerk-Recorder

70 W. Hedding St.
First Floor, East Wing
San Jose, CA  95110


Processing times may vary.  Requests made in person may take up to 3 business days to process. If mailing the request, please allow 15-20 business days for processing.

County of San Diego, California

Single Status Affidavit (Letter of No Record)

More info

The application to request a Letter of No Record is the same as a request for a marriage certificate. Essentially, you are requesting a marriage certificate, and upon them not finding one (because one does not exist), they can issue a Letter of No Record proving your single status. Application can be done In-Person or By Mail.


Visit one of the available office locations and complete the marriage certificate application (for a Letter of No Record) or form can also be downloaded for application By Mail


  • $17 for each Letter of No Record

The fee is payable by cash, check or money order, or credit/debit card. An additional $2.50 surcharge is applicable for card payments.

Check or money order payable to: San Diego Recorder/County Clerk.


You can request a Letter of No Record at any of their available office locations. Appointments are not necessary.

or Mail to: 

Send completed application with check or money order to:

San Diego Recorder/County Clerk
ATTN: Vital Records
P.O. Box 121750
San Diego, CA 92112-1750 

Washington State


How to get a single status letter?

To request a single status letter:

  • Call the contracted vendor VitalChek at 1-866-687-1464 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • Pay the applicable fee(s). Fees start at $25 per single status letter, which covers a 10 year search period. Other fees may apply depending on how many years need searching, ordering, or shipping method.

A vital records customer service representatives may contact you to verify information.

How much does it cost?

The cost will depend on how many years we need to search for records to confirm that you have never been married or that you are divorced. A single status letter costs $25 for each ten-year range of records searched. A customer service representative will provide you with the total cost when you order the letter.

Why do you have to call to get a single status letter?

Single status letters require different information depending on your circumstances. A trained customer service representative will ask you the right questions to get you the information you need.

Please be prepared to answer the following questions:

  • Are you a current resident of Washington state?
  • If yes, how many years have you been a resident of Washington state?
  • Years married?
  • Have you been divorced in Washington state?
  • If yes, what was the date the divorce was finalized?

Missouri State


In the State of Missouri, vital records are not open to the general public. Copies of vital records are provided to specifically defined individuals or entities. This helps protect identities, prevent fraud, and preserve the integrity of vital records. State law only allows a certified copy of a vital record to be issued to a person with a direct and tangible interest in the record.

A Statement of Single Status (no impediment to marriage) is a document that verifies whether an individual has any recorded marriages on file in the State of Missouri. Form to request: Statement of Single Status

Where are these records available?

Local level – Not available.
State level – Reporting of marriages and divorces began in July 1, 1948.

How can I order a copy?

Local level – Not available.
State level – In person and by mail.

1. Phone and Online via VitalChek

Order Online Now Through VitalChek

Call VitalChek at 1-877-817-7363, toll free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week or order online now through VitalChek. Documents can be requested by phone or online and charged to a major credit card. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service. To further expedite the request, overnight delivery service is available.

2. Mail-In / In-Person

You may request copies of vital records directly from your local public health agency or from the Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records in Jefferson City.

Step 1 – Download and complete the appropriate application form

Step 2 – Determine search fee for record and necessary documents

Step 3 – Take to local public health agency, schedule in-person appointment, or mail request to the Bureau of Vital Records in Jefferson City (930 Wildwood Drive, Jefferson City, MO 65109)

More info: See How to Obtain a Copy of a Vital Record


$15.00 – Statement of Single Status

The City of New York

A Certificate of Non-Impediment is an official Certification that the City Clerk’s Office has no information that would be an “impediment” for you to get married. If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment.


The fee for a Certificate of Non-Impediment is $15 by credit card or money order payable to the City Clerk.

To Qualify

You must reside within the City of New York and must not presently be married.


The Certificate of Non-Impediment is valid for six months from the date of the certificate.

How to Obtain 

Manhattan Office | Photo: Susan Shek

Proper Identification is required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment.

The application will require that you provide the following information:

  • The town or city and country where the ceremony will be performed.
  • The approximate day and month of the ceremony that must take place within six months from the date of the Certificate of Non-Impediment

For the certificate to be valid outside the United States, you must complete two additional steps after you receive the Certificate of Non-Impediment:

  • Step one: take the document to the nearest County Clerk’s Office to authenticate the City Clerk’s hand signature, for a fee of $3. Get a list of the five County Clerks’ offices within the City of New York and the forms of payment that are accepted in each office.
  • Step two: take the document to the New York State Department of State for the authentication of the County Clerk’s signature and the attachment of an “Apostille,” for a fee of $10 in cash or by check or money order.

Michigan State

Please use the “Official Statement of No Marriage” application for the statement of no marriage request and indicate the COUNTRY where it will be used. The initial search fee of $42.00 covers a basic one-year statewide search. Each additional year to be searched would be a $12.00 fee. The application must indicate the specific years to be searched.

Expedited service is available for a rush fee of $25 for the statement of NO MARRIAGE request if you have an urgent need. In addition, please allow an additional 2-3 weeks beyond Vital Records processing times for the Secretary of State’s Office of the Great Seal to apply the apostille and return it to this office.

  • Comments are closed.


    bridal makeup artist KL

    bridal makeup artist Malaysia


    Wedding live band Malaysia


    sky wedding Malaysia

    garden wedding Malaysia