Islamic Marriage Preparation and Application
Couples who want to get married must make application and obtain permission to marry by District Islamic Religious Office – Pejabat Agama Islam Daerah ( PAID ) in their respective states. They need to follow some procedures and steps set by the Islamic law of each state in Malaysia- as included below, which may vary in different state.
Check out the List of Pejabat Agama Islam Daerah (PAID) for your area.
- You can download the general guidelines here: Prosedur Perkahwinan, Penceraian dan Ruju-by JAKIM.
Marriage Consent Online Application – Benar Nikah Online (BNO)
Couples from certain states have to make the application online through: sppim.gov.my (Only applicable to Negeri Sembilan, Melaka, Perlis, Kedah, Perak, Wilayah Persekutuan (Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya and Labuan), Johor and Selangor).
- Female applicants can obtain permission to marry from the District Islamic Religious Office (PAID) after the male applicant gets permission to marry where the status of the application in BNO is approved.
- Make sure each applicant, male and female, brings supporting documents as in the BNO checklist together with the Application Form
- Marriage Permit form (Borang Permohonan Kebenaran Berkahwin) that has been printed and signed by the applicant, wali (for female applicants) and Area (Mukim) Assistant Registrar. (The application made in the State of Johor can go directly to the District Kadi Office)
- Pre-marriage course – Provide information to brides-grooms-to-be for building a family according to Islam, how to achieve a happy marriage and prevent conflicts. It is in accordance with the Modul Bersepadu Kursus Pra Perkahwinan Islam (MBKPPI). Information about marriage application procedure, forms to be filled, will be provided as well. The course can be registered at any Jabatan Agama Islam in your area or online-not all states. Duration is 2 days. Fee is about RM80-RM120.
- HIV test
- Fill in forms, prepare supporting documents. Within a certain timeframe before the akad nikah date, get approval from the Penolong Pendaftar Nikah (PPN)/ Tok Kadi and arrange the date for nikah. Submit the application to Pejabat Agama Islam Daerah (PAID) to get Kebenaran Berkahwin.
- Akad nikah
- Get Surat Perakuan Nikah from Pejabat Agama Daerah.
List of Jabatan Agama Islam (Islamic Religious Affairs Department) – for Marriage Application
- Jabatan Agama Islam Selangor (JAIS) | Website NCR – Aug 13: Can apply online or offline, marriage procedure
- Jabatan Agama Islam Wilayah Persekutuan (JAWI) | Website – Mar 13: procedure
- Majlis Agama Islam Johor (MAJI) | Website | Online application e-NCR | List of Pejabat Agama Islam Daerah in Johor – Mar 13: Have to apply online. Apr 14: Marriage Procedure in Johor
- Jabatan Hal Ehwal Agama Islam Negeri Kedah (JAIK) | Website – Oct 12: procedure, form in Jawi
- Jabatan Hal Ehwal Agama Islam Negeri Kelantan (JHEAINK) | Website | e-nikah Kelantan – Feb 14: Procedure
- Jabatan Agama Islam Melaka (JAIM) | Website | Online application SPPIM – Jan 14: Procedure
- Jabatan Hal Ehwal Agama Islam Negeri Sembilan (JHEAINS) | Website | Online application SPPIM
- Jabatan Agama Islam Pulau Pinang (JAIPP) | Website (procedure) | Online Application
- Jabatan Agama Islam Pahang (JAIP) | Website (procedure) | Payment
- Jabatan Agama Islam Perak (JAIPK) | Online application (e-nikah) – Apr 14: Procedure for groom in Selangor and bride in Perak
- Jabatan Agama Islam Perlis (JAIPs) | Website | Online application SPPIM
- Jabatan Hal Ehwal Agama Terengganu (JHEAT) | Website (procedure)
- Jabatan Agama Islam Sarawak (JAIS) | Website | e-nikah with procedure
- Jabatatan Hal Ehwal Agama Islam Negeri Sabah (JHEAINS) | Website NCR (nikah,cerai,ruju) with procedure