Wedding planning requires a lot of effort. From preparing the documents to register your marriage to the wedding reception banquet, it is important to have an idea what kind of wedding you want according to the budget.
Covid-19 Safety Measures
With the ongoing movement restrictions and social distancing orders during the current coronavirus outbreak, a lot of processes will be subjected to SOP (standard operating procedures) for weddings.
Scroll to. Menu
1. Marriage Traditions, Religious Marriage and ROM
2. Wedding Planning and Budget
3. Choosing the Wedding Venue for Reception & Ceremony
4. Shortlisting Wedding Vendors
Here’s all the topics of the checklist you need on how to plan a wedding in Malaysia:
Planning for Registration of Marriage (ROM) and Pre-Wedding
Shop for your engagement ring and wedding band
Option 1: Conduct detailed research on how to buy the most value for money diamond and ring setting online.
Option 2: Custom-make one according to your specifications from local jewelers (usually with good knowledge, can offer better price compared to retail chains and have mostly virtual inventories, few stocks in show room)
Option 3: Choose from the jewelry retail chains to pick a ready-made ring
Local jewelry retail chains
Plan a proposal
- Ask parents for daughter’s hand in marriage
- Attend marriage course and perform other religious obligations required before the wedding
- Proposal, Betrothal gifts, wedding biscuits (ka lui peng), Installing bridal room, Hair dressing ritual, Pick the bride (door games), Tea Ceremony, etc.
Traditional Chinese wedding ritual guided by Dai Kum Jie (Cecilia from CYL Events)
- Select an auspicious date (for Chinese weddings) done by Masters
- Set the date and Book the Venue and marriage officiant (priest)
- Verify wedding ceremony details – Pooja thali, flowers, rice, grains, coconut, etc.
Hindu Wedding ceremony setup. Photo by RC Studio.
- Hire Decorator, planner – Kolam, statue, mandap, flowers, etc.
- Reserve Makeup and Mehndi artist, Rent or buy wedding attire, accessories.
- Malay wedding rituals are Merisik (Visit and observe) , Meminang (Proposal), Bertunang (Engagement), Adat Berinai, Akad Nikah (Ijab & Kabul/ Offer & Acceptance), Bersanding (Enthronement) and Kenduri (Wedding Reception)
Akah Nikah photographed by RC Studio
- Before the wedding the couple will go through Islamic Pre-wedding Preparation and Marriage Application,
Registration of Marriage
Submit an application to register your marriage for :
Non-Muslims at NRD office
Muslims at Pejabat Agama Islam.
For Pre-wedding Photography
From parks and garden full of trees to rustic architectures that remind you of memories of yesteryear here is: Where to have your pre-wedding photography in Malaysia
Solemnization can be done at the NRD or religious houses/ temples/ churches/ associations (such as clan association)
Planning the Wedding
You probably have to allocate about 50% of the budget for venue and banqueting. Fill in the budget percentage for each wedding checklist item and do an estimation: Wedding Budget Calculator.
Live Wedstream by MY Wedding Planner
🏠 Wedding Venue (Reception and Ceremony)
Decide the type of wedding and number of guests.
Type of wedding venue:
Bayswater KLCC is a bungalow – see-through stand-alone hall overlooking a garden
🏊Club – Golf, Recreational, etc.
🍽️Banquet Hall rental and Caterers
Hall rental at Lakesight Galleria Subang.
🏢Convention Centre for big weddings
- Visit your shortlisted ones from List of Venues to look at the conditions and packages. The price is usually determined by the wedding menu.
- If the decorations provided by the venue is not able to meet your requirements, you can add decorative segments with your personal touch such as photobooth, photo display table, entrance arch. Some wedding planners are decorators as well.
- Thematic wedding styling, stationery and invitations are beautiful representation of your wedding and are great for photography.
Shortlisting the Wedding Vendors
Investing in wedding Live Band/ musicians is something you will never regret! Hire the one with
⭐Good Reviews – recommended wedding live bands in Malaysia
- Right Tone Music – Facebook Reviews: 5 out of 5 ☆ (120 votes)
- Beat Music Performance – Facebook Reviews: 5 out of 5 ☆ (16 votes)
- Mangroove Live Band (Penang) – Facebook Reviews: 5 out of 5 ☆ (47 votes)
💖Top 10 Live Band Malaysia
The Raw Note, Rhumba Live Band, The Muse Entertainment, Kaho Music, Happy Fish Entertainment, Bling Voice Entertainment, RCE Live Band, etc.
Live performance by Debbie – The Raw Note
- Josh Productions (traditional music and dance)
- The Dholiz (dhol drum performance)
- Naka Sutra Music Event – Indian, Malay, Chinese or fusion musical band
- Eswest Music & Art
- Rhumba Live Band
- Regal Orchestra
- Jalal Kompang
Choose the makeup artist that specializes in the bridal style that you prefer or has special specific qualities;
– 👸Princess and glamorous bridal look
– ㉽Korean bridal style is youthful with delicate hair designs
– Highly sought-after Malaysia’s 💖Top 10 MUA
Magical transformation before and after makeup by Loving Gallery Professional Makeup
– Good contouring technique with more dimension 🌟3D Makeup
Great facial structure contouring by Makeover Loft
Many couples choose to select their own photographers for their pre-wedding photo shoot to ensure the quality they get instead of signing a bridal shop’s package. Read the reviews first.
– Top photographers for 💑pre-wedding photography
- WLOON Photography | Facebook – beautiful colors
- GMPS Film and Photography | gmps.com.my – Perfect for your pre-wedding cinematic themed photography and videography.
- Twins Photography | Facebook – Playful pre-wedding shots
Fun pre-wedding photo by Twins Photography
- Mun Keat Photography | munkeatphotography.com – natural expressions
- Arch & Vow | archandvow.com – popular, images are simple elegant
- TWO OF US Studio | twoofus.com.my – good at thematic wedding mood
- Fabulous Moment | fabulous-moments.com – captures the perfect emotions and details
– Top photographers for beach weddings in Malaysia
– Wedding Photographers with ⭐good reviews
Here are some wedding cinematographers with good reviews.
Right Tone Music is the perfect example that – taking small steps to improve…
Essence of the Wedding Day Fabulous Moments’ Hong’s photos are relaxing,…
No more choosing between amazing journalistic photography or the all-in bridal shop…
To create that exquisite bridal look, Amelin uses a well-balanced color combination.…
Wooi Loon has extensive grasp of the elements that constitute the best of every…
Great Reviews With fantastic reviews on LookP, Facebook and Google, Vivi is one of the…
A great wedding video is well-edited, contains important moments and is special.…