Site logo
  • Wedding Photographer Malaysia
  • Wedding Live Band Malaysia
  • Best wedding photographer Malaysia

Marriage Registration for Foreigners in Malaysia Requirements

How to Register for Marriage in Malaysia (Non-Muslim)

Click here for a List of NRD Branches

How to Register for Marriage (Muslim)

Requirements for Registration of Marriage Between Non-Muslim Malaysian and Foreign National

Where to Submit Application

  • For marriage applications where one or both parties are foreign nationals, the applicant is required to submit an application in the National Registration Department (NRD) or Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN) office. Marriage registration involving foreign nationals are only allowed at the NRD office.
  • The place of application is based on the address stated in the MyKad (for Malaysian) or the residential address in Malaysia (for non-citizen).

Number of Days Applicant must Reside in Marriage District in Malaysia

The applicant must reside in the district where the marriage is to take place for at least 7 days +1 day prior to submitting the application for registration of marriage in the relevant NRD office.

After the application is made, the foreign applicant can leave Malaysia, then return for the registration of marriage (ROM). 

NRD (National Registration Department) Putrajaya

Required Documents

*Note: The online forms are to be used as reference only. They may not be printed and used for transaction purposes. For transactions, please use the original forms.

Form JPN.KC02 Marriage Application Form and Statutory Declaration

JPN.K02 Form (Malay and English)

Statutory Declaration – Section D of the form

For Citizen/ Resident

  • MyKad, MyPR or MyKAS (that is still valid) for Malaysian / Permanent Resident of Malaysia/MyKAS Holders. 

For Non Citizen

You will need to provide supporting documents (originals and photocopy) as follows:

  • ORIGINAL passport and photocopy of pages with personal details, the latest arrival date in Malaysia and a valid visa or pass for non-citizen. SPECIAL PASS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
  • Birth Certificate (Original and photocopy)
  • Single Status Letter

Single Status/ Non-Impediment Letter

  • ORIGINAL letter verifying single marital status of a non-citizen applicant which had been

1. Certified by either the Malaysian representative in the applicant’s home country or the applicant’s Consulate in Malaysia

( How to get Single Status Letter in the United States | Victoria, Australia | United Kingdom )

2. Re-certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Wisma Putra) in Putrajaya, Kuching or Kota Kinabalu.


Validity of the letter – 6 month from the date of issue if no validity date stated.

Type of Single Status Document Accepted

If you are getting the Single Status Certificate from your country’s embassy in Malaysia, please make sure that they provide a certificate that is accepted for the purpose of marriage in Malaysia, (Affidavit/ Notary Certificate/ Apostille/ Statutory Declaration are not accepted).

single status florida

Single Status Certificate of the the State of Florida, USA (Certification of Vital Record) | Photo:

  • The letter from the Vietnam government must be re-certified by the Vietnam Embassy in Malaysia.
  • Myanmar citizen must produce a letter of permission to get married in Malaysia from his/her government.

Other Requirements (if Applicable)

  • A cover letter stating the purpose of application, (if application via post – applicants from Sabah/Sarawak/Labuan)
  • A verification letter from the respective government that the applicant is not a Muslim (i.e. Iran, Iraq, Egypt, Algeria, Pakistan, Bangladesh or other Muslim countries or from any other country if required).
  • It is compulsory for Malaysia Student Pass Holder (non citizen) to submit a letter from Immigration Department of Malaysia to verify non citizen permit/pass for marriage registration with Malaysian.
  • Police / army personnel MUST get the Approval Letter to get married issued by the Head of Department concerned (official letterhead)
  • Decree nisi absolute (divorce certificate), (Original and photocopy) if applicable.
  • Death certificate of previous spouse, (Original and photocopy), if applicable.

Apply for Extension of Stay

You can apply for extension at the Immigration Department (JIM) Putrajaya with the documents to prove that you have applied to get married and are waiting for the ROM. It is subject to approval and you have to leave the country before your current pass expires. 

List of Immigration Offices


  • All the above documents must be translated into Malay or English by a qualified translator. The translation must include name, signature, position, contact details of translator and date of translation. For document translation completed in Malaysia by Malaysian Court Translator or Malaysian National Institutes of Translation are acceptable without certification by respective embassy in Malaysia and re-certified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia.
  • Applicants who do not understand Malay will need to have the declaration in part D1 or D2 of the form JPN.KC02 translated by a qualified interpreter into the language that they understand.

NRD Putrajaya

Photo: Alan Leong Photography


The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Malaysia – MOFA (Wisma Putra) provides attestation services for various your single status certificate/ letter. The purpose of this procedure is to validate the stamp and signatures on the documents, before the document can be used.


The attestation of documents at the Consular Division, Wisma Putra operates on a walk in basis. The document is to be submitted in person or by representative. The attestation service requires the applicant to present Identification Card/ Passport – Authorization letter, if necessary. Under normal circumstances, documents submitted can be collected on the same day or at the latest, the following working day.

Details of the Attestation of Document Unit are as follows:





TELEPHONE NO    : (603)-8000 8000

E-MAIL                    :


Monday – Thursday    9.00 am – 4.00 pm

                        Friday                          9.00 am – 12.00 noon

                                                            2.45 pm – 4.00 pm

Issues, FAQs, Comments

Jul 2022:

For marriage registration of Malaysian to a US citizen, after submitting the documents at NRD, they said they do not accept Single Certificate Affidavit provided by the US Embassy in KL (certified by US Embassy and Wisma Putra).

We got a copy of my foreigner partner’s birth certificate attested in the ministry of foreign affairs and a certificate of no marriage records attested by the county in California as supporting proof. Together we brought the documents along with the single status affidavit that was attested by the US embassy And MOFA in KL and submitted to the JPN branch based on the state according to your IC. The Officer accepted our documents.

To get the Single Certificate from Korea, you can do it online. For more information contact the Embassy of Korea: 03-4251 2336


  1. RM20.00 for application
  2. RM10.00 for declaration

Approval Letter

For marriage registration of non-citizen at any of the State NRD offices or District NRD offices other than NRD Putrajaya, applicant MUST obtain a Verification of Marital Status Letter (Approval letter) from the Marriage and Divorce Division’s counter, NRD Putrajaya in person or by post (Sabah/Sarawak/Labuan) to the following address:

Ketua Pengarah
Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara
(Bahagian Perkahwinan dan Perceraian)
No. 20, Persiaran Perdana, Presint 2

(Documents sent by post must include the correct and contactable correspondence address)

Special Licence

To be exempted from the 21-day notice, you may apply for a special licence without marriage notification and declaration (Form: JPN.KC01C) from the marriage registration authority in the state concerned. Payment for this special licence on approval is RM100.00.

More about Special Licenses

Preparing for Registration of Marriage (ROM)

  • Registration of marriage shall take place after 21 days + 1 day and not later than 6 months from the date of application.
  • During the registration of marriage, it is the responsibility of the applicant to engage with an interpreter in the event of he/she does not understand Malay or English. Any document containing foreign language submitted to NRD shall be accompany by a full Malay or English language translation. For document translation completed in Malaysia by Malaysian Court Translator or Malaysian National Institutes of Translation are acceptable without certification by respective embassy in Malaysia and recertified by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia.

Day Of Solemnisation Of Marriage

solemnization ROM day

The couple, together with 2 reliable witnessess aged 21 and above, MUST:

  1. Bring along their ORIGINAL MyKAD (Malaysian)/passports (non-citizen);
  2. Be decently and neatly dressed (T-shirt/jeans/flip-flops/shorts are NOT ALLOWED)


JPN Daftar Kahwin Eng

Photos: and

marriage process Foreign Spouses Support Group

  • Comments are closed.


    bridal makeup artist KL

    bridal makeup artist Malaysia


    Wedding live band Malaysia


    sky wedding Malaysia

    garden wedding Malaysia